If you’ve been hard at work cleaning and clearing your house, you’re going to love today’s tips because there will be minimal work on your part. The toughest part may be finding a day to make it work with your schedule. I recommend getting it all done at once so if you had to take time off work, it’s all done in one day! Imagine how accomplished you’ll feel!
- Window Cleaning. With all the rain that we’ve had this past winter, my windows are filthy. Now that the sun is starting to make an appearance, I want to have crystal clear windows to enjoy the view. Unless you have all the equipment that the pros do, it’s just not worth the hassle of attempting this task yourself, especially if you have a multi-story home. I have purchased the tools in the past and done the work myself, but honestly, I don’t want to this job. To clean my 3 sliders and 8 windows inside and out, including the screens, I’ll probably end up paying about $200. Worth every penny for me not to have to brave a 2 story ladder. I know some folks are still enduring snowy weather, but as soon as that clears, schedule for your windows to be professionally cleaned!
- Window Blinds Cleaning. This is for those of you who have vinyl or metal venetian blinds. You can never get those clean on your own. Dust is magnetically attracted to them. Most window cleaning services also offer an ultrasonic blinds cleaning service. They will have to remove your shades and take them off-site to run through the machine, but it’s so worth it. They come back sparkling clean…something you couldn’t achieve unless you bought new blinds. This is a relatively inexpensive project as well depending on the size of your blinds. It’s approximately $15 per unit which is worth every penny to save your sanity.
- Carpet Cleaning. I generally get my carpets cleaned once a year. I think I’m overdue. It’s a relatively inexpensive project at under $200 to do my living room, stairs and 3 bedrooms upstairs. Although we don’t wear shoes in the house which helps maintain the cleanliness, I have noticed stains here and there which is noticeable on light carpet. It’s bound to happen, so might as well take care of it now. While they’re here, I’d like them to clean my dining room area rug as well. Stains are inevitable wherever food is consumed.
- Gardening Clean-up. If you have a yard, you most likely have a gardening service that comes to mow your lawn, trim your trees and plants and does general clean-up. If you don’t, you may want to hire someone to do the big clean-up task as we enter the spring season. At my house, I have a courtyard patio that I use regularly during the warmer months. This area, I maintain myself and actually enjoy it. However, I have another side patio which I never use because it faces the public area of the complex and it’s always shady due to the location and just not a practical space to use when I have the sunny, private patio. Besides, spiders live on this side! In fact, the only time I go out there is to retrieve packages that UPS drops for me so that it’s not sitting by the front door. I have cleaned that area twice since I’ve lived here and it’s an all day activity. It is a HOT MESS and desperately needs to be cleaned up (see the embarassing photos below). I found a gardening service that will do the job for $50. SOLD!!! They will remove all the weeds around the perimeter, trim the trees and sweep up and remove all the debris. I can’t wait!
- Drapery Cleaning. Truth be told, I haven’t done this and I need to. The drapery panels in my master bedroom need to be dry cleaned so I will take those down and take them to the cleaners this weekend along with a few blazers (gotta maximize the visit!). The sheers can be machine washed and rehung so that just needs to happen. How long has it been since you’ve cleaned your drapes…yea, thought so. Get to work!!!
If you’d like to follow my spring cleaning / spring clearing journey, join me on Instagram for my Insta-stories and on Facebook where I may go Live and share these fun tasks while someone else does that work, LOL! If you are looking for local vendors to outsource these tasks to, check your local Craigslist or Groupon generally has introductory services at a discounted price.
Happy Spring Cleaning!